How do you train your frontline leaders as learning accelerators, not trainers lecturing and pushing content? Let them do what is natural: conversations, fixing, solving and improving work and using them as learning moments for their co-workers and teams.
Due to the massive impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, organizations are scrambling to survive and reinvent themselves. The field of training has been hard hit with limited budgets and the sudden shift to remote technologies. Furthemore, L&D teams are expected to train more people with fewer resources.
Studies show that the roles of frontline leaders will need to undergo a reset or reinvention to deal with the impacts of COVID-19. Progressive companies are extending their L&D efforts relying, more on the frontline leaders to take on the role of coaching and training. The challenge, however, is that these frontline leaders are also stretched out and face rapid demands in their jobs; so being a trainer as an added task is yet another item on an already overwhelming “to do” list. The old concept of train-the-frontline leader as trainer no longer works.
Your role as trainer, designer and L&D leader is even more crucial today. Frontline leaders rely on you to introduce new ways of improving the performance of their teams with the new demands.
Frontline leaders can become good trainers, if we follow these rules:
- Rule #1: Don’t train them to be trainers!
- Rule #2: Allow them to be who they are!
- Rule #3: Make them learning accelerators!
In this workshop, you will learn how to train frontline leaders so they become learning catalysts or accelerators. They accelerate learning with teams and co-workers by improving the way they learn from actual work and experience. They increase the speed of learning by critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving. Frontline leaders are already doing this work – engaging in conversations, assisting with troubleshooting and rolling up their sleeves to walk through projects WITH their co-workers. As learning accelerators, they help co-workers and teams learn faster by thinking through their work experiences.
This non-traditional workshop
is designed for trainers, designers and L&D leaders to guide and support frontline leaders and teach them to coach thereby, accelerating learning with co-workers.
- Understand today’s business climate and its new demands on trainers, designers and L&D leaders
- Improve your skills and knowledge to help frontline leaders become learning accelerators - critical thinkers and problem solvers with their work and experience
- Increase the capacities of frontline leaders to help their team members perform on the job
- Train frontline leaders on the newest methods in consequence thinking, risk analysis, troubleshooting, experimentation, results analysis to reduce cost and improve profits
- Apply new techniques to train frontline leaders in analytical skills to improve decision making, and arrive at better results
- Scale the frontline leaders’ capacities to think about how to deal with unknown, uncertain and unpredictable work conditions
- Immediately obtain ready-to-use training kit, templates, videos, resources, flash cards, and exercises to implement the course on “Learning Accelerators” design for frontline leaders
The New World of Frontline Leaders
Work Diagnostic Reviews
- Differentiating the traditional role of trainers and the role of learning accelerators
- Adjusting to the demands for resiliency, rapid response, and agility
- Thinking as catalysts / accelerators to help teams and co-workers become critical thinkers and problem-solvers in doing their work
- Getting your frontline leaders in the “get-it-done” mode: reducing costs, increasing speed, etc.
- Enhancing skills to constantly leverage the “fix-solve-improve work” model - a simplified critical thinking and problem solving framework
- Training frontline leaders to accelerate “fix-solve-improve work” capabilities
- Understanding the role of the learning accelerator as discoverer of work issues
- Determining where it all starts: observation of changes, future and immediate, at work
- Discovering deviations from goals and standards, failures, near misses, accidents, errors, etc.
- Diagnosing problems and issues at work
- Anticipating problems with consequence thinking and risk analysis
- Analyzing what the data reveals
- Using critical analysis, troubleshooting, and problem-solving as learning methods
Experimentation and Testing
- Understanding the role of the learning accelerators in finding and providing answers
- Knowing the best sources of answers and solutions
- Learning to find, search, network, and source answers
- Avoiding instructions, encouraging discovery and exploration, learning by doing work
- Establishing trusted networks of a few peers
- Co-creating answers from stakeholders, customers, teams and others
- Using software and platforms to accelerate team co-learning and collaboration
Feedback and Analytics
- Understanding the role of the learning accelerator in experimentations, tests and trial and errors
- Knowing when and how to test answers and solutions
- Applying the “fix-solve-improve work” thinking process
- Using the principles of beta, mock-ups and mini-projects
- Conducting fail-safe trial and error
- Experimenting multiple approaches to test solutions
- Using trial and error and testing as learning moments
Frontline Leaders as learning accelerators
- Understanding the role of the learning accelerator in seeking feedback
- Comprehending what data means to work results
- Learning when tests and experimentation fail or succeed
- Knowing when to repeat the process
- Scaling capacities of frontline leaders to think beyond the obvious problems
- Using feedback and data analysis as learning moments
- Learning how to use the “fix-improve-solve” thinking model as a coaching guide
- Delivering coaching and learning in the flow of work and in huddles
- Accelerating ”training” into a form of conversation
- Transitioning from trainer to problem-solver coach
- Helping frontline leaders to be accelerators of learning while in the workflow
- Make your job easier by helping frontline leaders accelerate learning
- Provide frontline leaders with a reusable template and tools for accelerating learning
- Obtain ready-to-use trainer and participant guides, PowerPoint slides, exercises, videos, templates and resources for easy, faster and immediate use to conduct and implement “The Learning Accelerators Course for Frontline Leaders”
- The workshop saves you time and helps you immediately in solving problems and finding answers. You will learn to address real-life real issues.
- Improve performance by accelerating learning capacities of co-workers and team members
- Obtain easy-to-use, reusable and repeatable methods in accelerating learning
- Build confidence and skills in helping co-workers and teams to be better and faster learners
- Translate training into a day-to-day natural event which leads to reducing costs and increasing flow at work.
This workshop employs the “Fix-Solve-Improve Thinking Model.” It is a simplified, easy-to-use and tested model for new and upcoming frontline leaders to learn how to help team members do critical analysis and problem-solving at work. The model is an ideal guide for trainers and designers to upskill frontline leaders to accelerate learning with their team while doing work. This helps frontline leaders co-learn with team members in the flow of work.
By attending the workshop, you’ll obtain the following resources to help you conduct or implement "The Learning Accelerators Course for Frontline Leaders".
- Leader’s Guide
- Participant’s Guide
- PowerPoint Slides
- Webinar Presentation Guide
- 10 ready-to-use thinking tools
- 10 exercises in critical analysis and problem-solving
- 5 Case videos
- 10 Idea videos
As part of the workshop, you will receive one pack of the Fix-Solve-Improve Thinking Cards and a poster. The cards and poster are companion job-aids for trainers and frontline.
The workshop is designed for trainers, designers, and L&D and operations professionals who have the need to implement leadership development programs for frontline leaders. The trainers attending this workshop will learn to train using a simplified model that is intended to help new, upcoming, and high-potential frontline leaders.
This workshop is highly interactive, engaging, and deep in learning. Participants will participate in three live ZOOM virtual (2 hours each) sessions. They will also submit small exercise documents to translate ideas into actual applications. Participants will also access a secure and private website for references, videos and exercises.
About Ray Jimenez, PhD - Lead Facilitator, Mentor and Coach
Ray started his career in operations management, information technology and organization development. His background allows him a special expertise that combines the hard sciences in operations and technology with the learning sciences. Ray is the chief learning and software architect and strategist of the webinar community TrainingMagNetwork. In partnership with Training Magazine, Ray’s team has grown TrainingMagNetwork to 180,000 members with hundreds of webinars.
Ray Jimenez, Ph.D., spent 15 years with Coopers & Lybrand in the areas of management consulting and implementation of learning technology solutions. Ray is the author of Workflow Learning, 3-Minute e-Learning, Scenario-Based Learning, Do-It-Yourself eLearning,Story Impacts Learning and Performance eBook and an upcoming book, Hyper Story Learning Design. Ray has worked with American Bankers Association, Neiman Marcus, the U.S. Air Force, NASA, Blue Cross, Goodwill Industries, Pixar Studios, Edison Missing Group, Dendreon, Netafim, Progressive Insurance, Bridgepoint Education, California Institute of Technology, MIT, to name a few.
He is the Chief Learning Architect for www.VignettesLearning.com. Ray teaches at the University of California, Irvine, University of Texas Southwest Medical Center, Dallas, Assumption University, Bangkok and Open Learning University, Hong Kong. He is a sought-after expert and workshop facilitator for Training Magazine, Learning Guild and ATD Conferences.
Ray is a master webinar presenter. He makes participants alive, active, engaged, at ease, learning – never a dull moment. Webinar participants describe Ray as “fun,” “engaging,” “technically savvy,” “provocative,” “inspiring,” and “has depth and experience in learning system.
Mentors and Co-Presenters
For More Information
For interested participants outside of the US with inquiry regarding time differences, please click on this link to see time conversion example and find your related time. Thank you.
December 2022 WORKSHOP
Whole Group Main Session Date: Virtual Zoom Sessions
Session 1 - December 01, 2022
Session 2 - December 08, 2022
Session 3 - December 15, 2022
Fallback Date : December 19, 2022
(In case a session is moved due to technical issues.)
8:30 am - 10:30 am - Pacific
9:30 am - 11:30 am - Mountain
10:30 am - 12:30 pm - Central
11:30 am - 1:30 pm - Eastern
Please email us to let us know how we can help with special arrangements and mentoring support. Kindly provide us with details to better assist you.
One participant - $750.00
Click here to register.
20% Special Early Bird Discount
(Valid for registrations up to 45 days before the workshop)
10% Early Bird Discount
(Valid for registrations beyond the special early bird period up to 30 days before the workshop)
5% for the second participant from the same company attending the same workshop sessions
5% Government/Non-profit Discount
Please contact us for assistance.
Group discount for several participants, or attending both workshops.
Special format and design and discounts if you have a small group of 6 or more.
Please contact us for assistance.