eLearning programs in organizations are primarily focused on empowering it’s people. Competencies for immediate on-the-job applications, expertise and knowledge infused into sales and profits, customer service, efficient systems and adherence to regulations are highly critical for employee performance and legal compliance.
eLearning programs - products, applications, processes, software, people skills,onboarding, etc.and compliance to government regulations– are fundamental, indispensable and pivotal to the success or failure of any business.
Even with well-intentioned learning thrusts, these programs may become simple “massive data dumps” if not properly managed. Enormous statistical and factual content do not captivate learners. “Boring,” “Difficult to retain,” “Hard to grasp,” and “Long,” are common complaints you hear. Learners end up frustrated and unable to grasp and retain critical content for applying to their jobs.
Re-energize and transform elearning programs using story-based methods. Make them shorter, easier and faster for the learner.
Start relating your content to story events. Utilize the Story-Based eLearning Design approach. Learn how to:
- Transform and re-energize your elearning programs
- Raise learners’ interactivity levels
- Chunk and boil down your learning material to provide much greater impact
- Create faster, easier and more effective learning
- Cut training time significantly and improve learners’ performance
- Improve content retention among learners
This innovative learning design and delivery method is a proven way to improve content retention.
The ONLINE Story-based eLearning Design Workshop enables you to convert existing or new eLearning content into stimulating learning experiences.
Workshop participants learn how to transform procedures, products, policies, processes, technical data, rules and regulations into easy and immersive elearning.
You will develop skills in creating interactive and discovery- learning methods where the content is embedded in real-life events. Participants practice the application of the Story-Based Design methods using interesting, provocative and highly-engaging success stories, customer complaints, product recalls, penalties, legal infractions, lawsuits, product defects, lost sales, quick solutions, etc. to help learners turn factual information into personalized and meaningful learning experiences.
At the end of the workshop, participants will have gained the knowledge and confidence to apply a new set of skills to revolutionize their elearning programs using the story-based methods learned.
Who should attend?
The workshop is valuable to the following:
- Subject Matter Experts(SMEs)
- Instructional Designers
- eLearning designers and developers
- eLearning writers and producers
- Trainers and presenters
- Project Leaders and champions
- Everyone who aims to apply the Story-Based Design to elearning
Why should you attend?
- Become a Certified Story-Based Elearning Designer
- Re-skill from traditional design and development to story-based methods
- Obtain tools, demos, samples and templates to transform technical and compliance courses to Story-based eLearning
- Learn how to reduce cost and speed up elearning program development
- Discover how to collaborate with SMEs for enhanced learner experience
In this workshop, participants will learn to:
- Obtain the “Proofs” based on research and scientific findings supporting the effectiveness of the Story-Based elearning Design.
- Demonstrate the cost benefits of Story-Based elearning in customer satisfaction, reduction of production costs, savings from product support and compliance.
- Differentiate the key distinctions between traditional instructional design and Story-Based eLearning design.
- Implement the “Story-Based Instructional Design Process and Project Plan” – from interviewing SMEs to development of the eLearning program.
- Use “Story Mapping Grid” to discover stories to match your technical and compliance content.
- Construct modules and lessons that are only 3-minute long using a powerful story method.
- Apply the “SRIA Model” (Set up, Relate, Interpret and Apply) in building Story-Based micro lessons.
- Incorporate the “Oscillation Technique" and "Organics” of weaving small stories into a full program.
- Apply the “15 Story-Based Design Models.”
- Develop learning objectives, test questions and exercises using story-based methods.
- Use “Process-Based Tracking Systems” to gauge learning and applications.
- Develop reusable standards, templates and processes for Story-Based design and development.
- Incorporate “Gaming Stories” in interactive designs.
- Apply “Workplace Incidents” like troubleshooting, defects, errors, heroic endeavors, compliance failures, best formulas, tips, experiences, turnarounds, etc. as inspiration for designing eLearning.
- Implement “Stacking Experiences” methods to facilitate the creation of “wisdom-based eLearning” solutions provided through a collections of stories and experiences.
Live demos and examples From examples of Story-Based eLearning lessons, participants will learn:
- Software applications
- Product and service features
- Engineering processes and methods
- Technical specifications
- Compliance in safety, employment law, healthcare,
financial services, manufacturing, utilities, agriculture,
mining, construction, transportation, education, etc.
- Onboarding and people skills
- Sales and Client Relationship Management
- Other demos and examples
- You can become a lead in-house consultant and designer.
- You can be a better consultant to your clients.
- You can be an in-house training specialist in Story-Based eLearning Design.
To support Certified Designers in their implementation of the Story-Based eLearning Design Workshop, participants will enjoy these add-on benefits within a period of one year after the workshop.
- Access to advance research work and demo versions of finished eLearning products
- Coaching and critique of your work by Ray Jimenez and his associates
- Ideation and brainstorming conversations with Ray Jimenez and his associates
- Quarterly special insight webinars
- Special limited permission to use the proprietary and copyrighted materials, presentations and examples by Ray Jimenez
The workshop is in a virtual learning format. Participants are required to submit mini-application projects. The virtual technologies cover webinars, discussion rooms, chat, conference calls, video sharing and online submission of projects. Participants will use Twine as a story sketch pad, Vimeo for 30-second video submissions and the Vignettes Virtual Learning System. These tools are for free.
Ray Jimenez, Ph.D., spent 15 years with Coopers & Lybrand in the areas of management consulting and implementation of learning technology solutions. Ray is the author of 3-Minute e-Learning, Scenario-Based Learning, Do-It-Yourself eLearning, Story Impacts Learning and Performance eBook and an upcoming book Story-Based eLearning Design. Ray has worked with American Bankers Association, Neiman Marcus, the U.S. Air Force, NASA, Blue Cross, Goodwill Industries, Pixar Studios, Edison Missing Group, Dendreon, Netafim, Progressive Insurance, Bridgepoint Education and California Institute of Technology, to name a few.
He is the Chief Learning Architect for www.VignettesLearning.com. Ray teaches at the University of California, Irvine; University of Texas Southwest Medical Center, Dallas; Assumption University, Bangkok and Open Learning University, Hong Kong. He is a sought-after expert and workshop facilitator for Training Magazine, eLearning Guild and ATD Conferences. Ray is the architect of www.trainingmagnetwork.com (a community of 100,000 members), and other learning platforms and authoring tools. Ray has authored and developed hundreds of Story-Based eLearning lessons including Story Impacts, Vignettes, Storytakes and Micro-Scenarios.
Workshop participants describe Ray as “fun,” “engaging,” “technically savvy,” “provocative,” “inspiring,” and “has depth and experience in Story-based eLearning Design.”
More about Ray Jimenez
Mentors and Co-Presenters
March 2021 Workshop
Main Session Dates:
Session 1 - March 9, 2021
Session 2 - March 16, 2021
Session 3 - March 23, 2021
Fallback Date: March 24, 2021
(In case a session is moved due to technical issues.)
8:30 am - 10:30 am - Pacific
9:30 am - 11:30 am - Mountain
10:30 am - 12:30 pm - Central
11:30 am - 1:30 pm - Eastern
One participant - $750.00
10% Early Bird Discount
(for registration not later than 30 days before the workshop)
5% Government/Non-profit Discount
Please contact us for assistance
This applies to two or more participants to the same session.
Please contact us for assistance
Click to see more...
“This session provided me with ideas to share with my instructional designers that I know will make their content even more engaging and impactful. Really great stuff!”
Director of Learning and Development
Cash America International
“This is what I like best about the session: Trying to work through the phases of SBL for ourselves - experiential learning is how I prefer to learn; The use of elearning demos to illustrate or reinforce points; enjoyed meeting other IDs and trainers from different fields; appreciated the books and references provided.; appreciated how you went to each participant to ask about their needs.”
Canadian Blood Services